Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Online assessment behaviour & metacognition

I am fascinated watching the online behaviour of boys during their assessment.

The assessment is being completed using the GoogleDocs platform. The task is being completed in an 'open book' environment because it is about the thinking and synthesis, not about knowledge recall (although it obviously requires that knowledge in order to be able to synthesise).

Here's an interesting behaviour: a boy writes a piece of his response, and then uses the 'Comment' function to add a comment or question to the side on what he has just written. When I check, sometimes this is a 'note to self', other times it is a question as yet unresolved in his thinking.

This is the most visible illustration of 'metacognition' that I have observed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin, I came across an interesting idea yesterday in my travels. Requiring students to provide feedback 3 times:
    1. To someone else in the class
    2. To someone else in the school
    3. To someone else in the cluster

    EVERY day - what would our culture of feedback be like if every child in NZ did this! How good would kids be at providing useful/etc. feedback to others.

    Have a good week,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. Ha, I was doing the comment thing to myself (and as mate) on a Doc I was working on earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete